Discover the Dolomites in a responsible, eco-friendly and sustainable way
From the 23rd July to the 31st August 2018 the Passo Sella is traffic-calmed
Since Summer 2017 South Tyrol/Südtirol and Trentino have taken on the challenge to cut individual traffic on the Passo Sella and raise visitor awareness of sustainable travel in order to help enhance and safeguard the Dolomites UNESCO World Heritage Site.
From the end of July until the end of August the Passo Sella is traffic-calmed on the stretch shortly after the Miramonti junction (SS242/SS243), above Plan de Gralba in Val Gardena valley, to the Pian de Schiavaneis area near Passo Sella/Passo Pordoi junction (SS242/SS48) in Val di Fassa.
23.07.2018 – 31.08.2018
Montay to Friday from 9 am to 4 pm
In the spirit of #Dolomitesvives, we invite you to leave your car at your hotel or in the parking facilities in the valley and travel to the Passo Sella by public transport, by cableways, by bicycle or on foot. By doing so, you can contribute to safeguarding this unique natural heritage.
To the Passo Sella by public transport, by cableways, by bicycle or on foot
The public transport line 471 connects Val Gardena every 15-30 minutes, Val di Fassa every 30-60 minutes and Val Badia every hour to the Passo Sella. Info available from www.sii.bz.it
By cable car you can reach the Passo Sella from Val Gardena with Piz Seteur gondola lift from Plan de Gralba and then along trails no. 657, with Ciampinoi cable car from Selva, then along traisl no. 21, 21A and 526, with Monte Pana and Mont de Seura chairlifts from S. Cristina and then along trails no. 526B, 528, 526 and from Val di Fassa with Col Rodella from Campitello di Fassa cable car and then on foot following trails no. 529 and 557.
By bike, you may ride on the Passo Sella road at any time without restrictions. Further suggestions for MTB or eBike trails are available at www.dolomitesvives.com
By walking you can access the Passo Sella from Val Gardena by following trail no. 657 from Plan de Gralba (2 hours, difference in altitude approx. 400 metres), from Selva along trails no. 27, 21A and 526 (2.5 hours, difference in altitude approx. 614 m), from S. Cristina along trails no. 30, 528 and 526 (3.5‒4 hours, difference in altitude 800 m) and from Ortisei following the railway path to S. Cristina and then trails no. 30B, 23, 528 and 526 (6.5 hours, difference in altitude approx. 1013 m) and from Val di Fassa by following trail no. 655 from Canazei (3 hours, difference in altitude approx. 800 m).
To the Passo Sella with private vehicle - DOLOMITESVIVES PASS
In order to access the Passo Sella with a private vehicle during the DOLOMITESVIVES period you will need a DOLOMITESVIVES PASS. This free permit is available via the OPENMOVE app and/or web page, or directly from the #Dolomitesvives information points, which will be open from 23 July to 31 August 2018, Mondays to Fridays, between 9 am and 4 pm, at the following locations:
- In S. Cristina (Val Gardena), in the car park near the Saslong cableway on Str. Ruacia
- In Plan de Gralba (Val Gardena), in the car park near the Piz de Sella and Piz Seteur cableways.
- In Canazei (Val di Fassa), in the car park opposite the Belvedere cableway on Via del Piz
- In Alba di Canazei (Val di Fassa), near the Ciampac cableway car park on Via de Contrin
- In Mazzin (Val di Fassa), in the car park near the tourist office
- In Lupo Bianco (Canazei, Val di Fassa), in the car park next to the Hotel Lupo Bianco
The DOLOMITESVIVES PASS can be requested for a specific time slot between 9 am and 4 pm on a certain day, e.g. for ascent to the pass during the 10 am ‒ 11 am time slot.
The number of vehicles permitted to access the pass, both from Val Gardena and from Val di Fassa, is established on the basis of hourly time slots in order to prevent excessively busy times and congestion. The permit time slot refers to the ascent up to the pass. You may leave the pass at any time. The DOLOMITESVIVES PASS can be requested on the day before you plan to access the pass or on the day itself.
• Guests staying in accommodation on the Passo Sella do not need to request a DOLOMITESVIVES PASS. They may access the area on their day of arrival at any time by showing their booking confirmation at the checkpoint. Upon arrival at their hotel, they will receive a DOLOMITESVIVES PASS valid for the entire duration of their stay.
• The following categories will be allowed through at any time, without needing a DOLOMITESVIVES PASS: pedestrians and cyclists (including e-bikes), local public transport services, emergency vehicles, disabled, local agricultural vehicles, suppliers, service vehicles carrying out work in the area, tour buses, electric vehicles.
• The following categories may request a “seasonal permit” at the #Dolomitesvives information points: those who own or rent in the area concerned, employees at hotels on the Passo Sella, taxis/NCC services and and anyone who has to travel through the Sella Pass for work or health-related reasons.
INFO SERVICE DOLOMITESVIVES
Tel. +39 348 5103862
In operation from 06.08.2018 - 31.08.2018, MO - FR, from 8am - 5pm
The information service is available at your own expense.
For detailed information